Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Using PowerPoint to create album pages: Tutorial 01

To keep faith with the mission of getting photos into places they can been seen and enjoyed, I have started work on a series of tutes aimed at the family album maker rather than the true digi-scrapper. If you just want to get those photos into albums, this is for you. If you are a great digi-scrapper then maybe this is for a friend or relative. Please let me know if these are useful and I will keep them coming.

The first tute covers page set up and image resizing and cropping. Here’s how it starts:

I used PowerPoint to make up my album pages for nearly 10 years and it is a great alternative for folks who just want to get that album done without having to go through the learning curve of a program such as Photoshop. Also PowerPoint (PPT) comes with MS Home Office suites so most folks will have it on their computer. I am also aware that Open Office has a program called OOo Impress in its suite, a PPT equivalent, which has the added advantage of being free.

PowerPoint offers several advantages to the family album creator including:
  • all the pages for a particular event are together in the one file – a great advantage for things like weddings and holidays
  • you can easily change the page order
  • you can set up a background template that then works for all pages
  • basic image editing tools allow you to crop, alter brightness and contrast and adjust image size
  • drawing tools allow you to create shadows and borders
  • text boxes and Word Art are on hand and easy to use
Sorry, link has expired. Check the DustyD website instead.

3 comments:

Yolee said...

To be continued....?
Look forward to reading more.
That's useful.

Ellie said...

I actually started my digi-scrapbooks on Powerpoint. Thanks for bringing back such fun memories.

DustyD said...

There will be more Yolee so I hope you continue to find them useful.
You too Ellie - I'm in good company then!